Friday 5 March 2010

Voodoo


I wake up every morning and the goodies keep coming! For once I avoided spoiling myself with the low quality recording from the Fantasy Springs lobby. I listened to a couple of seconds of it and decided to wait instead.



Written by Adam Lambert, Jesse Rogg, Sam Sparro
“It's kind of like a dark industrial disco song. It's definitely a dance tune,the vocals are like really smooth and light, kind of breathy and the beat is hard and electro so I think you guys will really like it.” - DonorsChoose chat 18/02/10

“It's more of a European sounding track, it didn't quite work in context as well as some of the other songs. It's a sexyass song though.”
Fab magazine 25/11/09

I don't have much more to add to Adam's words but I think I prefer the songs that didn't make it to the US album and hope it's a sign of things to come. I can see it being a club hit with remixes down the line, but also used as a soundtrack. The song is well written and expresses the darker side of being completely consumed by love. My favourite part of the vocal (aside from the orgasmic 'Yeah!') is the tone and vibrato of 'all' in the first line of the bridge and the haunting multi-layered vocals towards the end. It's very reminiscent of mid-90's dance and I love the mood it creates. Here are the lyrics as far as I can make out:
Moonshine on the bayou
Love shrine break the taboo
I wanna know what's in your potion
Bound by total devotion

I was looking for love all over
You're the hunter and I'm your prey
Now I'm lost in a love hangover
I try to leave but I have to stay
'Cause it's voodoo voodoo voodoo
Under your spell
'Cause it's voodoo voodoo voodoo
Under your spell

Swamp sings of a love bizarre
Snakes bites, aligning stars
I'm in rapture there is no cure
No sanctuary from your allure

I was looking for love all over
You're the hunter and I'm your prey
Now I'm lost in a love hangover
I try to leave but I have to stay
'Cause it's voodoo voodoo voodoo
Under your spell
'Cause it's voodoo voodoo voodoo
Under your spell

'Cause the voodoo that you do is all that you can do to make me into your fool
'Cause when you do voodoo I'm just like a doll that the pins keep pushing into
So every time I try and break this trance
I'mma so afraid I'll miss my chance
To be bewitched, bothered by you
I just gotta say I want your hex
I don't want to live without your hex
I'm so obsessed with your sexiness

Yeah!
'Cause it's voodoo voodoo voodoo
Under your spell
'Cause it's voodoo voodoo voodoo
Under your spell
'Cause it's voodoo voodoo voodoo
Under your spell
'Cause it's voodoo voodoo voodoo

So obsessed with your sexiness

9 comments:

  1. Oh my....I can't wait to see Adam perform this song. I really like it. I have been under a spell for a year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was at Adam's Fantasy Springs concert. He was absolutely incandescent and I'm still swooning a full week later! Now all this new material -- unfortunately, my actual job and life keep getting in the way of my obsession! As always, AB, love what you have to say..since the concert I've become obsessed with Down the Rebbit Hole. It just captures what this whole experience has been.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To the person above, OK, I try to mind my own business, but this is an Adam Lambert's site!
    To the OP, thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Voodoo is the best song yet--if that's possible!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AB here's some lyric updates based on Adam's tweets:

    "Now I'm lost and our love ain't over", should be "Now I'm lost in a love hangover"
    "Swamp sings all the bizarre", should be "Swamp sings of a love bizarre"
    "No sanctuary from you love", should be "No sanctuary from your allure"
    "To be bewitched by the bayou", should be "To be bewitched, bothered by you."

    This is my FAVOURITE song. Just love the beat and the sexiness in his voice. Before I didn't have one favourite - it was always a choice from five - Music Again, FYE, SFW, Fever, IIHY.

    I met Adam yesterday at a CD signing in Oxford Street. My FYE CD now says that I rock!!. And it has Voodoo.

    He was introduced by a fan who won a competition to meet him and who was given the chance to ask him three questions - the young guy asked him what was the inspiration for Voodoo and Adam answered a previous boyfriend!!

    Hope you get a chance to see him when he comes to the UK. I thought he was photogenic, but in the flesh his beauty is staggering. He is also very thin. Beautiful sweet and calm energy. (Nikki)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm obsessed with Voodoo. The song itself is bewitching.
    Nikki, I agree with you that nothing prepares you for Adam's beauty when you see him in person.
    I think it's his eyes - the colour and intensity.
    He also does look very thin.

    AD

    ReplyDelete
  8. Voodoo is like a spell putting on me. The more I look at the lyrics, the more I am attracted to the song. And then now, it is just like a background music in my head.
    "voodoo voodoo voodoo (under your spell)
    voodoo voodoo voodoo (under your spell)"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adamspirit, I can imagine this being a helluva sexy live performance, but definitely club rather than concert.

    Idahophoenix, OMG you lucky lucky lucky person! I'm swooning a week later and I've only seen the videos. It's a strange coincidence that I used the exact words of the title of DTRH in my very old review of RoF and I guess that's when I started burrowing!

    Anonymous(es), thanks for looking out for spammers. And I agree, I love this song. It really gets into my head. I hope that the US will be more receptive to this type of music in future.

    Nikki, thank you so much for the lyrics, I've updated the post. And YAY for meeting him! Please feel free to share the details of your exchange. Your insight about his being a 'calm energy' is wonderfully descriptive. I'm not sure how I'd feel about meeting Adam in the flesh, it would be so surreal after following him for all this time.

    AD, me too! I think I'm addicted to its atmosphere.

    K(*Glitter*), so many of Adam's songs we can relate to Adam's effect on us so they resonate with us. For example, Music Again, FYE, Voodoo... I think that's one of the reasons why we are so taken with his music.

    ReplyDelete